Most of us take our gutters for granted. The thing is, they save your house from destruction by quietly and efficiently diverting vast amounts of our Snohomish, WA rain and snow away from your house. Usually low on the homeowner’s priority list, gutter maintenance and repair is actually more critical than one might think. Ignoring easy gutter maintenance and repair over the long term can seriously cost you, not only monetarily but also in terms of labor and frustration.
- Whatever you do, be sure not to rest your ladder against the gutters at any time, whether cleaning them or getting onto the roof. Your gutters can be easily damaged by ladders and the life expectancy can be drastically reduced.
- Set yourself a reminder to regularly clean the gutters. The type of weather you have in your area may determine how often you need to clean out the gutters.
- To help with debris control you should consider installing leaf guards.
- Every 5 years reseal the corners and endcaps and check the fasteners.
- Gutters made from galvanized steel need to be checked for rust.
- Check the downspouts are attached properly and extend at least 10 feet from the foundation.
Signs of the Need to Replace or Repair Your Gutters
Generally, instead of completely replacing gutters, they can usually be repaired. So before rushing off to replace your gutters check with a professional. Check for these signs.
- Holes, cracks or rust on the gutters.
- Bubbling or peeling paint on or around the gutters, or the house’s sidings.
- Water accumulating neat the house foundation.
- Gutters separating from the house, or broken fasteners.
- Gutters starting to sag.
- Water collecting in the gutters and not flowing away.
When the time comes for you to choose a gutter system for your Seattle-area home, it is important to know their expected lifespan if maintained properly. Contact the professionals at Asset Roofing today for more information about installing gutters on your home.